In order to ensure the safety of all participants, spectators, and partners at New York Road Runners events, a number of items are prohibited at the TCS New York City Marathon and at other events held during race week and on race day. All bags and items entering TCS New York City Marathon venues and events are subject to inspection by NYRR, contracted private security personnel, venue personnel, and the NYPD.
The following items are prohibited from all NYRR events and race venues, including the TCS New York City Marathon and other race-week and race-day events:
- Weapons of any kind, including firearms, knives, Mace, etc.
- Dangerous items or “dual-use” items that could be considered dangerous, including hammers, saws, sharp objects, umbrellas, poles, sticks, etc.
- Flammable liquids, aerosols, fuels, fireworks, toxic chemicals, and explosives
- Large packages, coolers, tents, and lean-tos
- Duvets, sleeping bags, and large blankets or comforters
- Alcoholic beverages and illegal substances of any kind
- Unmanned aerial devices, drones, survey balloons, photography mini-copters, and any flying device with an on/off switch
- Opaque trash bags and any non-transparent plastic bags (Clear trash bags are allowed.)
- Animals/pets (except service animals to aid a person with a disability; if you have questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Folding chairs, camp chairs, and tables of any kind
- Glass containers
- Containers of liquid larger than one liter
- Chemical compounds, or biological agents that could be considered toxic
- Backpacks, suitcases, rolling bags, or any other similar bags other than the official NYRR clear bag check bag
- Camelbaks® and any type of hydration backpack (Fuel belts and hand-held water bottles are allowed.)
- Weight vests and any vests with multiple pockets, especially those that can be used as a water reservoir
- Costumes that cover the face and any bulky outfits that extend beyond the perimeter of the body (Form-fitting outfits are allowed.)
- Props, including flagpoles, sporting equipment, military and fire gear, and signs larger than 11”x17”
- Selfie-sticks and any camera mount or rig that isn’t attached directly to the head or torso
Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are greatly appreciated as we enhance and expand our security efforts to make your TCS New York City Marathon experience safe and enjoyable.