Group registration for the 2017 TCS New York City Marathon is open until September 15. Groups (20−250 volunteers) receive priority access to the designated locations.
- All volunteers, regardless of group affiliation, must register individually on the NYRR website. Children under 18 must be registered by a parent or guardian. There is no group registration process.
- Volunteer groups can be from companies, cultural organizations, churches, synagogues, civic groups, running clubs, athletic teams, book clubs, or any similar organization.
- Each group must have a group leader; duties and responsibilities of group leaders are listed below.
- All members of the group must be at least 12 years old; one chaperone must be provided for every 10 teenagers.
To learn more about bringing a group to the TCS New York City Marathon and/or any NYRR race, please contact us [email protected].
- Group leaders are invited to a kickoff dinner in April. At the dinner, group leaders receive recruitment materials and meet other group leaders.
- Group leaders are invited to the Volunteer Appreciation Party following the TCS New York City Marathon.
- Volunteer groups at the 2017 TCS New York City Marathon will receive one guaranteed, non-complimentary entry to the 2018 TCS New York City Marathon for every 20 volunteers who check in on race day.*
*Rules and Restrictions:
- The entry is guaranteed for the 2018 TCS New York City Marathon and is non-complimentary.
- Runners must be 18 or older on or before November 4, 2018.
- Entries cannot be auctioned, raffled, or sold.
- Once the recipient accepts the entry, all standard rules regarding transfer, cancellation, and selling apply. Any violation of these rules subjects the participant to immediate disqualification and may result in the group being disqualified from NYRR volunteer opportunities in the future.
- All participants must comply with the Rules of Competition and Code of Conduct for NYRR events.
- Each group leader will receive a report by December 1, 2017, with the number of entries to which their group is eligible.
- Groups that have earned guaranteed entry must provide NYRR with the names and email addresses of their entrants by January 13, 2018. Entrants need a My NYRR profile to be eligible and have 30 days to claim their guaranteed entry using an invitation code provided by NYRR. There are no extensions, and it is each entrant’s responsibility to make sure he or she receives and uses the invitation code during the designated period.
Group Leader Duties and Responsibilities
Group leaders are ambassadors for New York Road Runners and the TCS New York City Marathon. Together with NYRR staff and volunteer leaders, our group leaders help manage their group of volunteers to ensure a smooth race. Group leaders help ensure that every volunteer has a positive experience and that the needs of the organization, runners, sponsors, spectators, the City of New York, and the community are being met.
- Manage communication between NYRR and the group.
- Receive invitations to training sessions and have the opportunity to observe other volunteers in action at an event.
- Act as a liaison between NYRR and volunteers under your supervision.
- Follow all NYRR and TCS New York City Marathon guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- May be responsible for checking in their group members on site.
Volunteer Groups Rock!
Thank you to over 100 different groups that pledged volunteers for the 2016 TCS New York City Marathon! These groups represented more than half the volunteers on race day.
- Cultural Care Au Pair/ U.S. State Department J-1
- Adventist Youth
- Black Girls Run
- November Project NYC
- North Brooklyn Runners
- Tata Consultancy Services
- · Lehman College
- · BCSM
- · Saint Francis College
- · Au Pair in America/US State Department J-1
- · Boy Scouts
- · District 20K-1 Lions Club
- · FRNY
- · Girl Scouts
- · Team for Kids
- · United Airlines
- · Wagner College
- · Newcomers High School
· Pratt Institute
· Au Pair Care/US State Department J-1
· Cornell University Alumni
· NYPD Explorers
· Con Edison
· Rutgers University/US State Department J-1
· CBP-JFK Explorers
· Nippon Life Group
· NYC Museum School
· Staten Island JCC
· Thomas A. Edison CTE High School
· CIEE/U.S. State Department J-1
· NY Wall Street Dragons
· De Novo Harriers
· Inter Exchange/US State Department J-1
· UVA Alumni Volunteers-Virginia Club of New York
· Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. Delta Mu Zeta Chapter
· Brooklyn Tech HS
· Cultural Vistas/US State Department J-1
· Stuyvesant Red Cross Club
· DST Runs NYC
· Hunter College SAAC
· Lycee Rive Gauche Toulouse
· NY Flyers
· Boy Scout Troop #13
· NYU Office of Global Services/U.S. State Department J-1
· College of Staten Island
· Jersey Shore Running Club
· Latinas in Motion
· Mountbatten Institute
· Bergen Catholic High School
· City Wide Rescue Team
· New York University
· Queens Distance Runners
· State University of New York at Stony Brook/U.S. State Department J-1
· Gotham Gators-University of Florida
· Bard College BGIA/US State Department J-1
· German American Chamber of Commerce/U.S. State Department J-1
· Immaculate Heart of Mary Church Brooklyn
· Youth For Understanding USA/US State Department J-1
· Girl Scouts #4373
· Philippine-NY Jaycees
· The Weissman Center at Baruch College/US State Department J-1
· Vassar Club of New York
Medical Groups: 20+ Volunteers
· Stony Brook University
· NYU DPT
· LIU PT
· Beth Israel
· New York Medical College SMIG
· Mount Sinai-Jacobi
If you’d like to bring a group to volunteer at the 2017 TCS New York City Marathon, please contact [email protected] to discuss your preferred location and listing your group name on our website.
Volunteer spots are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Volunteer registration closes August 31, 2017.