The information below is for the 2017 TCS New York City Marathon. Information will be updated for the 2018 race.
Please read the following information carefully if you are an Athlete With a Disability (AWD) being accompanied by a guide, or a guide accompanying an AWD. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact New York Road Runners at [email protected] or Achilles International at [email protected].
Guides are not official entrants in the TCS New York City Marathon and are not timed, scored, or listed in the official results. Most guides participate free of charge, and all have the satisfaction of assisting another person in completing the TCS New York City Marathon.
On race day, a guide is expected to accompany his/her assigned AWD from the start to the finish, unless the guide has been specifically assigned to guide for only the first or second half of the race.
- Communicating with assigned AWD and, if possible, meeting and training with him/her prior to race day. AWD contact information is available from Achilles International.
- If possible, checking in at packet pickup at the TCS New York City Marathon Expo Presented by New Balance with assigned AWD.
- Assuring that baggage—the guide’s and the assigned AWDs (which may include a spare wheelchair)—is placed in the correct truck at the AWD start staging area and is retrieved at the AWD/Achilles Family Reunion area near the finish (72nd Street and Central Park West). All AWDs will be directed to this location upon completion of the race.
- Assuring that AWDs stay to the side of the road during the race when being approached from behind by faster runners or official vehicles on the course in order to avoid collisions.
Packet pickup (guide shirts, official racing bibs, etc.) for both AWDs and guides takes place at the TCS New York City Marathon Expo Presented by New Balance at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center. Guides should check in at the Achilles booth inside the expo, where they will be issued a special guide race bib. AWDs receive a bib number and other items provided to all entrants. After checking in, guides should proceed to the Achilles booth located inside the expo just before the exit, where they will receive their guide shirt. If their assigned entrant has purchased a ticket for the TCS New York City Marathon Eve Dinner, guides can also obtain a complimentary ticket at the Achilles booth in order to accompany their entrant.
To pick up their bibs, AWDs and guides must bring a government-issued photo identification card and their TCS New York City Marathon registration form, which will be available in My NYRR. In addition, guides must bring the Guide Confirmation Document that will have been sent via email from Achilles.
Information is subject to change.
Guides are transported free of charge to the starting line. Details about transportation for both AWDs and guides will be provided at the expo. It is strongly recommended that AWDs and guides travel together on the buses. If this is not possible, they should arrange a spot to meet within the AWD start staging area on Staten Island. At packet pickup, guides will receive information about the location of the AWD start staging area. The specific UPS trucks for AWDs and their guides will be located in that AWD start staging area. DO NOT use UPS trucks outside of the AWD staging area.
Assignment of AWDs and their guides to particular starts is made by NYRR. Color-coded bibs will be distributed at the expo based upon these assignments.
There are three starts for AWD athletes:
1. Wheelchair/Handcycle Start: 8:30 a.m. for push-rim chairs (bib numbers W235 to W269) and 8:52 a.m. for handcycles (bib numbers H300 to H374), both on the Blue Start. All athletes within these bib ranges will be escorted to the start line at the appropriate times.
2. Special AWD Start #1: 8:52 a.m. on the Orange Start for Ambulatory AWDs (including certain wheelchair/handcycle entrants) who require additional time to complete the race. AAWDs with Orange Start bibs (bib numbers X402 to X439), wheelchairs (bib numbers W270 to W299), and handcycles (bib numbers H375 to H399) within these bib ranges will be escorted to your respective start area at the appropriate time. Guides will also have the appropriate bib numbers associated with their runner’s number and start time.
3. Special AWD Start #2: 9:50 a.m. on the Green Start. All ambulatory AWDs not assigned to AWD start #1 will be assigned to the last corral of Wave 1. AAWD athletes with Green Start bibs (bib numbers 18830 to 18993) will be escorted to the respective start at the appropriate time.
Buses carrying AWDs and their guides for these starts will load and leave between approximately 4:45 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. Please refer to the bus instructions provided in your bib packet for your specific bus time and location. All buses will unload inside Fort Wadsworth. AWDs and their guides will be directed to the special AWD staging area adjacent to the Green Village, from where they will be sent at the appropriate time either directly to their assigned starting lines, in the case of start #1 and #2 (above), or to their assigned corral, from which they will proceed to the Green Start, in the case of #3 (above).
Standby guides will be stationed on race day at the standby guide station on the course at mile 13.6 and will enter the race at that point in order to provide substitute or additional assistance to AWDs requiring it. These guides should go directly to the standby guide station on race day. More precise information about this station and its exact location will be distributed to standby guides during packet pickup at the expo.
Instructions for AWDs and Guides
Instructions for AWDs, including wheelchair and handcycle participants, and all guides will be distributed during packet pickup at the TCS New York City Marathon Expo Presented by New Balance.
Please note: All wheelchair and handcycle entrants must wear helmets at all times while on the course. Athletes not wearing helmets will NOT be allowed to start the race and are subject to removal from the course.